Tuesday, August 27, 2013

What Body Part is That?


When I first saw What Body Part is That?, I assumed it was a fact-filled book about the human body with weird and interesting stories and random trivia. Boy was I wrong. While I was not entirely disappointed, this is one of the most bizarre books I have read in a while. If you can picture a satirical look at the human body, written for 8-12 year old boys, you know what to expect with What Body Part is That?. With bizarre sketches, slightly twisted humor, and useless information, this book doesn’t easily fit into any category. The only facts in this book are “Fun Body Part Facts” such as “Shoulders are the body part most commonly mispronounced as ‘soldiers’” and “Gut-barging is a sport in which two overweight contestants try to barge each other off of a large mat using their big fat bellies.” This book isn’t exactly educational, but it is engaging as it describes every body part from freckles to tonsils, and lungs to scars. I don’t think that this book is for everyone, but it is entertaining enough to keep an upper-elementary boy reading for at least a couple of hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment